- Home /
- Powerful Public Schools
Powerful public schools are essential to an equitable society, economy and democracy. Our expertise and collaboration with our schools have identified what is a powerful public school that will provide the resources and access that our students need.
Powerful Public School Attributes:
- Equity: Promote access to opportunity and achievement.
- Respect: Honor the inherent value of each person and treating all people accordingly.
- Creativity: Use imagination to generate original ideas and solutions.
- Competency: Develop the ability to meet and respond to the challenges of school and life.
- Love of Learning: Foster a passionate interest in understanding the world and one’s place in it.
Powerful Public School Structures:
- The school’s structure supports a professional learning community that includes families, students and industry partners.
- The school community is autonomous with decision-making power over school budget, curriculum and assessment, governance, schedule and staffing.
- Distributive leadership and decision-making expands ownership of improved student outcomes and program effectiveness.
- The school community utilizes its assets and relationships to create a resource-rich learning environment.
- Teachers enhance leadership skills by reflecting on their practice.
- Teachers collaborate across grade levels and content areas.
Powerful Public Schools in Action:
- Students and families are well-known and vital members of school community.
- Classrooms are inviting spaces, arranged to support collaboration, discourse and creative thinking.
- Teachers are facilitators of student-directed learning.
- Real-world, rigorous and relevant curriculum.
- Authentic assessments and quantitative data are used to continually improve student outcomes.
- Student learning is outcome-focused, providing multiple opportunities for students to demonstrate competency and readiness for college and career.